Friday 4 April 2014

Review: The Babaton Dominick Jacket (AKA the most versatile blazer I have ever encountered!!)

Before I get into this post, I think it's important that you all know the back story to this blazer.

I'm an undergrad (bachelors) business student with an undying love for blazers and jackets. Thus, it follows that I have unhealthily high expectations for blazers: their fit, their style, their material... the list goes on.  A good, basic, black blazer can take you very far.  It can take you from looking casually elegant at brunch to looking sharp at an important interview to looking polished for a night out.

My first blazer purchase was a basic, black, cotton one from Zara. (You know, the one that is always hanging somewhere in the store and the only update they ever make to it is the lining.) When I first bought it about 2 years ago, I fell absolutely head over heels for it. And, to this day, it has probably been one of the best purchases I have ever made. 


Zara Jersey Blazer

However, over the past two years, I've come to be very picky about my clothes. The fit that I once thought was perfect just didn't do it for me anymore.  The sleeves were slightly too long, the waist did not cinch as tight as it could have, the length wasn't working for my tiny frame. Disclaimer: I am in no way saying this blazer is bad. In fact, I still love it, especially for my slightly taller, longer limbed friends.  Nonetheless, I began searching for an updated basic to add to my collection.

Enter the Babaton Dominick Jacket (not to be confused with the Dominic jacket, which is an equally cute but non-relevant moto-style jacket).  I decided this time that I wanted something shorter, more fitted, and a little more edgy.  I found that the Zara blazer, as versatile as it was, made me look a bit too formal and frumpy sometimes due to its size.

I opted for 00 instead of the 0, both of which fit pretty well, because it was more fitted and thus looked much more sleek. The blazer has longer lapels that extend all the way down the front, and is shorter in the back. It also comes in a dark teal and a cream. The texture of the jacket is sort of crepe-like, but doesn't wrinkle at all! Great if you're slightly lazy and totally clumsy like me. If you are looking for a super classic look, I suggest you look to the Zara blazer I mentioned before. However, I highly recommend this jacket if you're looking for something more fashion forward, just as versatile, and easier to wear for casual settings.  

My only complaint about this blazer is its price. Sitting at $195 CAD, it was a tad pricey.  If you have the cash, I'd definitely say go for it, since you could consider it an "investment piece" that will stay well worn in your wardrobe for a long time. 

Side note for smaller ladies: I highly recommend Aritzia as a place to shop for basics.  For some items, especially super fashionable pieces that may just last one or two seasons, the price is wayyy too high (45 dollars for a t-shirt that says "Baller" on it? Yeah, okay).  However, I believe that buying certain basics is worth it, since these basics can be worn year after year.  The fit and cut of certain items are, in my opinion, very good for smaller girls. As someone who's struggled to find curves all her life, Aritzia's clothing lines (in particular Wilfred and Babaton) make me look like I actually have a waist and hips!

To conclude:
I would not say that this blazer is going to be a 100% replacement for my more formal Zara blazer.  However, it is powerfully versatile and perfect if you're looking to be able to wear it anywhere, anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment